There’s gold in those hills and prospecting is the best way to discover and claim it. Of course, the “gold” we are talking about here is the money that comes through sales to new clients.
In the world of sales, prospecting is when you connect and communicate with someone in order to determine whether or not there is an opportunity to do business with that person. Here are steps you can take that should make prospecting easier.
- Determine if there is a good fit. Before trying to sell your product, determine if there is a good fit. Not only are you looking for a good fit between you and the prospective client, but also a good fit between the prospective client and the product. Determining what is best for everyone involved will help you save time. You do not need to pursue a prospect that has no desire or need to become a client.
- Be excited. Excitement is contagious. If you are enthusiastic about your product, other people will be as well. Recognize that you have something to offer and people want it. This is exciting!
- Plan your calendar. Make time for prospecting. Practice time management and plan your calendar a month in advance. This will help you keep focused. Your priorities will stay intact when you have your calendar planned. Value your time and your prospect’s time. Their time is as valuable as yours.
- Ask your supervisor for suggestions. Your supervisor has experience in areas that you do not. Feel free to ask them what methods of prospecting worked best.. Show them that you value their expertise. Ask for a specific amount of time to carry out your prospecting and show that you want to become the best.
- Read. Take advantage of the wealth of information available about prospecting on the internet and in books, magazines and newspapers. Reading about effective prospecting techniques will help you become more knowledgeable about your job. You can often find information about potential clients in these reading sources too.
- Meet with other salespeople. Spend time with other successful salespeople. Talking with them will stir your excitement. It will help you gain from their experience. Surrounding yourself with people who are good at what they do can help give you confidence in yourself. If they can do it, so can you.
Prospecting can be the key to meeting your sales objectives. Believe in yourself and what you do, and prospecting will lead you to golden opportunities.